the wondrous journey - jack & jill
Daisypath Ticker

Sunday, February 08, 2004

Senses... Emotions... Thoughts

Sun Ji Hong, 6, mildly autisitc, verbal. I was apprehensive when reading it. The first thought was 'I am able to handle them?' Next were a thousand of what ifs and hows.

Worst fears came thru. Upon seeing her, she was so hysterical. Clinging on to her parents, throwing the autistic kids tantrums, crying and screaming. I was stunned, lost, fearful. But God works in wonderful ways. The teacher managed to coax her and soon we were zooming away to Mandai and slowly, she grew closer and closer to me.

Seeing her talking after me, bringing her to the toilet, watching her do her drawing, pacifying her stubborness, feeding her, ensuring she's fine all the time, running after her... tiring. But the effort put into taking care of her is nothing compared to the intangible rewards that derive from this wonderful experience.

From how the both of us transisted from being so afraid of one another... to a wonderous closely-bonded relationship... is just so miraculous. At the animal show, she was so 'teh'... sitting on my lap, lying down on me... a far cry from that same gal who hid behind her parents initially. She didn't get to witness the main event- the night safari, cuz she was so tired from all the running. She fell asleep as soon as the tram ride began and throughout, her tiny hands were interlocked with mine.

It's incredible... How humans touch each others' hearts... and it showed me the love given to a child unconditionally, is returned in a million times better, when the child learns to love back.

Though it won't be certain if I would see her again, this wonderful learning experience brings many joys and incredulous smiles.

I'm happy. I'm pleased.

Maybe we should all learn to love with the innocence and trust of a child.


No comments: